Friday, August 26, 2011

O'Malley's List

Several years ago, the Seattle Archdiocese experienced its own sex-abuse news blow-up. I became involved because I publicly substantiated the claim that there had been an allegation against Fr. John Cornelius, who at the time was the only African-American priest that the Seattle Archdiocese had (I had been his Parish Administrator for five years). In retrospect, it really was a small thing; but at the time, its timing fed what became a firestorm of publicity, coming right at the time of the Archdiocesan Annual Catholic Appeal. My wife Joan heads the international non-profit Committee for Children, which produces educational materials for the prevention of child sexual abuse; she was aware of everything, and quietly supported me through that sleepless period of time.

This morning I read an article on Cardinal Sean O'Malley, who succeeded the infamous Cardinal Law in Boston. The article describes his recent action in publishing the names of diocesan priest offenders:

O'Malley announced that, after "serious and thoughtful consideration and prayer," he was releasing a list of Boston priests and deacons who have either been found guilty of sexual abuse of a minor, or publicly accused of such abuse. The names have been organized into a searchable format, available on the archdiocesan web site. Each entry includes the cleric's current status (suspended, laicized, etc.) and a link to his assignment history. In tandem with the launch, O'Malley issued a detailed seven-page letter explaining the reasoning underlying his decision.

The article also mentions that while 24 other dioceses have published lists, Boston's was the most well-organized, especially with its searchable format.

Let's hope that the cardinal's very public action prods other dioceses to do the same. A few weeks ago, news surfaced in Seattle that a deceased former pastor of my parish, Fr. Dennis Meuhe, had been accused of sex abuse at a previous parish. It caused parishioners here more than a little consternation! Perhaps if a list like Boston's were made public by dioceses around the country (or around the whole world, for that matter), victims would feel less isolated and more able to find support, peace, and healing. There would certainly be fewer unwelcome surprises, and fewer sleepless weeks.

4 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger crystal said...

I think it takes bravery to do what you and Fr. O'Malley have done. Maybe I should start visiting his blog :) BTW, I sent you an email about the Brian Greene video, but maybe I have the wrong email address?

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Hi Crystal --

I've never thought of it as bravery -- what I was trying to do, most of all, was be faithful to the truth.

John Allen, who wrote the article about O'Malley, is someone I really enjoy reading. You can easily subscribe to his blog, All Things Catholic, by going to: http://ncronline.org/blogs/all-things-catholic.

PS -- (I just emailed you about the Greene DVD.)

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger crystal said...

Oh, I meant Cardianl O'Malley's blog :) ... http://www.cardinalseansblog.org/

Thanks for the email.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Hi again, Crystal --
Thanks for the link to the Cardinal's blog. I'll check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home