Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Fr. John Dear on Fr. Bill Bischel

Just received John Dear's latest NCR article, on Fr. Bischel -- whom we affectionately know as Bix. Please do check out the whole article, HERE.

He quotes from Bix's letter:

I shuffle around the common area, and I thank God for being here and for the peace I experience. I am not anxious or overly concerned about anything… [I have] things wrong from head to toe, move slowly, tire easily, and take a half ton of pills to prolong breath and life [but] I'm blessed by the peace and quiet spirit inside. I'm not concerned about trying to be more than I am with the other inmates. I'm trying to let them see -- and not hide or disguise -- my lack of knowledge on so many things… I'm lucky to be here.

I know I'm getting weaker -- it takes all my strength and breath to make my bunk. I have to sit down a few times in the process. It takes all I have now to do one or two slow shuffles around the common area. I don't feel panicked or upset about my condition. I know I can keel over at any time, but I feel very much at peace with this condition and understand and accept it -- thankfully -- as part of my journey.

I don't have a regular prayer time now -- but I pray and try to be alert, i.e., at rest in the presence of God. I ask God to lead me as God sees fit. There is no anxiousness or compulsiveness or resolve to preach or hold prayer sessions or do any "religious actions" -- just be and shuffle around. There are four TVs which I avoid, with their steady diet of sex and violence. I am so thankful to feel at peace with my life. It's a gift from God and I do feel God working in and with me. I could be wrong, but this is what I experience.


And he also quotes from a note from Bix's friend, Joe Power-Drutis, who went back to Knoxville to be near him. It wasn't good:

I am not sure what I expected to encounter but what I did see was a broken and very hurting soul. Pale, frail, mildly shaky, complaining of being unable to hear because of fluid in his ears, dizziness and lightheadedness, pointing with his fingers that he is struggling to push the right numbers on the phone -- eyes glassed over, flat affect, and complaining that his gait is so poor, yet he has been commanded to "keep moving." He requested a wheelchair and was refused. He went on to tell me with tears in his eyes that he was placed in a cell and locked in there, with woefully inadequate bedding and clothing, for a week. He repeatedly asked guards for clothing and an extra blanket, and was laughed at and ignored. At some point after repeated requests, another inmate gave up his blanket to Bix.

Bix's medical problems create a lack of blood and oxygen to his hands and feet, leaving them white and ice cold when his overall body temperature falls. Following this, his hands and feet are filled with pain, like being jabbed repeatedly with needles. He spoke of the never-ending pain, which leads to sleep deprivation, insomnia, disassociation and hallucinations.

Bix was certainly aware of what he was doing when he walked onto the base at Bangor and across the blue line at Y-12. For these acts he is ready to remain in prison and pay the ultimate price. But this in no way permits this system of criminal injustice to do what it has done to him. The unjust and unlawful acts perpetrated on him are tantamount to torture.


Bix is now better; but his situation remains serious. When this term finishes later this month, he faces sentencing for another action, that could bring 6-12 months more.

4 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger crystal said...

Sounds awful :(

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

It IS awful. Most states built more prisons during the "get tough on crime" era: madatory sentencing, restrictions on paroll & probation, etc. Some states even contracted with for-profit groups to run their prisons. Now most states are cutting back on prison funding during our "balance the budget" era. I don't think prisons would ever be "good places," but they're becoming much worse.

And yet there are still people who have the notion of prisons as being places where inmates are "taken care of" by taxpayers. I especially feel for Bix, and other prisoners of conscience.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger crystal said...

Only from watching movies and tv, I get the impression that prison is just horrible. Here in CA the supreme court has recently ruled that over 30,000 prisoners have to be let out of prison because conditions are so bad - link

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

I've read about the prison situation in CA. Isn't it ironic?

Perhaps this crisis will also finally bring some sanity to our "war on drugs," and lead to decriminalization of drugs like marajuana. That could help bring down the prison population.

And for people like Bix, prisoners of conscience -- well, they ARE threats of a sort, but not to anyone's personal safety.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home