Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Passion Song

At our Palm Sunday Masses this past weekend, our pastor and Music Director had arranged a beautiful, touching surprise for the assembly at Mass. After the reading of the Passion, and a few words from Fr. Tim, we were all invited to spend some quiet time in reflection on the Passion. After a few moments, this beautiful, meditative song was sung for us all by one of our choir members, Mariko Kita, who has a lovely, clear, emotive voice: How Deep the Father's Love for Us. I had never heard the song before, and because my hearing is faulty, I couldn't quite catch all the words. While the following rendition is not quite as good as hers, the accompanying video (from the Passion of the Christ) helps bring the words to life.

It makes for a good meditation in Holy Week -- or anytime.



How Deep the Father’s Love for Us

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

2 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger crystal said...

Thanks for the song. I heard another one the other day you might like, also with a video from The Passion of the Christ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItcURbkjXOA

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Thank you, Crystal. That was a really good song, and the video that matched with it was perfect. A good meditation for the Triduum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home