Saturday, April 09, 2011

WAR -- An Evil Incarnate?

I might almost have reached the stage of my life when I can speak what I believe, without fear. That statement is prompted by this weekend's scripture on the Raising of Lazarus! I haven't written my homily yet, but it's fermenting...

Today's post is about two articles that I have recently read, that I believe are timely and true. They don't say anything that I haven't already thought, but they've moved me to "another place," in that their words have reverberated within me -- and now, I have to decide what to do with that.

The first article, the one I read first and which I highlight here, is from the 2/31/11 edition of America magazine, published under the auspices of the U.S. Jesuits, and writen by the auxiliary bishop of San Francisco, the Most Reverend Robert W. McElroy. This is a timely and -- to me -- EXHILARATING article. It is entitled, "War Without End." The article begins with the war in Afghanistan, which (he observes) is the longest war in American history. The bishop declares that "for this reason alone... there should be a public debate that does not proceed from a blind commitment to 'stay the course.'"

Bishop McElroy then observes that "The United States has now achieved the capacity to wage major warfare over many years without greatly burdening its economy or its general citizenry." And because of this, he warns of the danger that "major warfare has become not an exceptional necessity but an ongoing way of life." True, a lot of people would take exception to the "burdening its economy" part of that, with the annual costs of our engagement in Iraq and Afghanistan over $100 billion! But that's not even part of the current budget debate, so let's grant that the statement has truth. Here are the three factors he cites, which have made this possible:

1) The sheer immensity of the American economy and its ability to float credit, which has made the costs of major wars like Afghanistan and Iraq a relatively small blip in overall government expenditures;

2) The creation of instruments of war through modern technology that minimize American casualties in warfare and greatly enhance American tactical superiority; and

3) The existence of a professional army, which limits the layers of American society that absorb the terrible trauma of casualties in war, in contrast to a general draft like that utilized in prior wars.

Bishop McElroy calls this situation no less than a "moral hazard for the politcal leadership to resort to force in the knowledge that civil society will not be deeply disturbed." (He wrote those words before the Lybian engagement.) This moral hazard is "compounded by a new idealistic tendency to cast war aims in transformational terms."

The article goes on to observe that NOWHERE in our just war tradition do you find any justification for this. Indeed, he identifies and highlights four statements of principle in his article:

1) Catholic doctrine does not permit war (or force of arms) to democratize other countries. (Principle of Just or Sufficient Cause)

2) Catholic doctrine does not permit the continuation of warfare in order to avoid the damage that will come to one's reputation from defeat. (Principle of Right Intention)

3) Catholic doctrine does not permit the use of weapons and tactics that eviscerate the distinction between combatants and civilians. (Principle of Non-Discrimination)

4) Catholic doctrine does not permit continuation of war based on a mere wisp of hope. (Principles of Probability of Success and Proportionality of Projected Results)

His article is obviously sharply critical of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but also points to a dangerous state of mind that seems to exist in the country right now. Preoccupied by our own economic troubles, we seem not to know or care what is taking place in our name.

The second article is "Is America Addicted to War? The Top Five Reasons Why We Keep Getting into Foolish Fights," by Stephen Walt. I also posted this a few days ago on my Facebook page.

I need to think about this. And probably more than that...

2 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger crystal said...

Forgot to comment that I liked this post :) mentioned it in one of mine, with a video of Jeff McMahan talking about Just War.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Thanks, Crystal. Actually, I did see your post -- thanks for the mention.

I also enjoyed the other post that I mentioned, Is America Addicted to War? I posted on that on my Facebook page. Are you on Facebook?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home