Thursday, May 05, 2011

On Osama bin Laden

I was surprised at hearing of the military operation that cornered and killed bin Laden. I wasn't happy... I wouldn't feel right about rejoicing at someone's death. I guess you could say, though, that I was relieved it was over. But my biggest reaction was anger...anger over 10 years of war and untold other deaths, especially by the children who always die as "collateral damage" because of any war. All justified in retaliation for the actions of this man and his followers.

I was intrigued to finally read the Vatican response on Vatican radio, through Press Office Director Fr Federico Lombardi, in response to journalists’ questions on the killing of Osama:
"Osama bin Laden - as we all know – was gravely responsible for promoting division and hatred between peoples, causing the death of countless innocent lives, and of exploiting religions to this end.
Faced with the death of a man, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibility of each and every one of us before God and before man, and hopes and commits himself so that no event be an opportunity for further growth of hatred, but for peace."


The statement didn't say much, other than saying that Christians don't rejoice at anyone's death. Other than that, it offered a personalist response, nothing more.

Contrast that with the statement from Fr. John Dear, writing on bin Laden's death for the National Catholic Reporter:
"President Obama closed his Sunday night speech announcing the murder of Osama bin Laden by invoking God and God’s blessing. Do not believe him. God does not bless war or warmakers. If we want God’s blessing, we have to become peacemakers. We have to end our wars, dismantle our weapons, renounce state terrorism, and develop a new nonviolent foreign policy that reflects universal love and true justice for the world’s poor.
"When we decide that retaliatory violence and war do not work, and finally take up the wisdom of the Sermon on the Mount, then the God of peace will bless us. Until then, we will remain stuck in the downward spiral of violence and war."


I know which statement speaks to me more powerfully of the spirit of Jesus Christ.

5 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger crystal said...

Thanks for posting the John Dear quote. I had been wondering if he had commented on the subject. I tend to agree with him rather than those who have been speaking of retributory justice.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

I do love his spirit, his consistency. I wish I knew him personally. Maybe some day, when I "retire..."

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger crystal said...

About ten years ago, when I wanted to know more about the peace movementi, a Jesuit email friend told me I should write to John Dear and ask him about what it was like to be a peace activist. I did and he wrote back. I can't remember all he said, but he mentioned how hard it was - that he was a felon now, couldn't vote, that the government reads his mail, that he gets death threats. None of that made he want to stop, though. I think he's a really brace and committed person.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger crystal said...

Sorry - a "brave" person :)

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

I hadn't even thought about the possibility of death threats, or the government reading one's mail. Not being able to vote is a different kind of question... although I vote every election, part of me still resonages with a slogan from a large banner we used to post on our house (the Catholic Worker house) on election day: "DON'T VOTE -- IT ONLY ENCOURAGES THEM." :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home