Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Ten Steps!

I'm still behind in my reading, but I ran across a REALLY interesting article by John Dear, SJ, in which he publishes "Ten Steps to a Nation of True Justice and Peace" by Loyola law professor Bill Quigley.  I like it because it "flat-out says it" without pulling any punches.  For instance, #4 starts out:


"Four:  Leave the rest of the world alone. Cut U.S. military spending by 75 percent and bring all troops outside the U.S. home now."

Now, I admit that I've been saying for a long time, to a lot of people, that the size of our military spending is absurd and obscene.  But to give an amount, and to add that opening touch, "Leave the rest of the world alone," is probably further than I would have gone... not because I don't believe it but because I didn't think of it.  It has panache!

He talks about "radically reinventing democracy, defending the earth, expanding public spaces, redoing the prison system, and providing full employment."  He says clearly that corporations are NOT persons, and that property rights, privilege, and money-making are just not as important as human rights.

Not bad for a short essay.

4 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger crystal said...

I like what he says, ... saving the environment, expanding public services, human rights for every person without exception, etc. He's really idealistic :) I doubt any politician would actually back all this, though. I doubt even the US Bishops would do so.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

I really like the article, too. Idealistic? I don't know... He's way ahead of the curve, for sure; is that what we mean by idealistic?

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger crystal said...

Ffor me to call somone idealistic is a compliment - I don't think it means impractical but striving for the best :)

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger crystal said...

Oh, BTW, I was checking the blog's spam place today - I always forget about it - and I saw a comment there from you from a while ago about altar girls. Sorry - the blog just sends some comments to the spam place, don't know why, and doesn't ask me first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home