Saturday, December 31, 2011

A CW Interview

Besides reading the National Catholic Reporter regularly, I also "subscribe" to several feeds. Just this past week, the NCR started a new column called "Conversations with Sr. Camille." The opening article was an interview of Julia Occhiogrosso, 50 years old and long-time member of the Catholic Worker. It was an inspiration to read; and if this article is an indication of things to come, it'll be an ongoing hit.

A few years after we were married, Joan and I lived in the Seattle Catholic Worker community for five years, years which were often very hectic and stressful. However, those years also contain some of my fondest memories. Julia's life in the Worker reminded me of my own; I often think I would like to reunite with those roots. Perhaps someday...

As Julia recounts, it was her parents' values, and then her sister's early influence that drew her to the Los Angeles Catholic Worker, and things took off from there. Some excerpts...

Did some particular experience strengthen your resolve? "I remember tagging along with Mary Smith, a nurse in the community. We went door to door in the run-down Skid Row hotels. Mary spoke Spanish, informing the families about a summer project for children. We walked tenuously through darkened hallways, avoiding broken glass. The air reeked of urine. Peeking out from behind their moms were little children with dazed eyes. They seemed to wonder, 'What can you do for me?' My heart knew in those moments that I was being invited to be with the poor."

After four years with the LACW, Julia was "commissioned" to open a sister house in Las Vegas.
"For the first five years, different people came for six months to a few years. The lack of a consistent, long-term community was taking a toll on me. Just as I thought I needed a break, Gary Cavalier, whom I'd known at the LACW, joined me. We shared similar values. Gary brought insight, energy and creativity to the LVCW. His background in printing and publishing helped improve our newsletter, Manna. We were married in 1994."

How did that change your life? "Because I wanted a family, we adopted two boys. We moved out of the hospitality house with Gary commuting to run the projects. When the boys started school, I was able to spend more time at the Worker. We soon were running a grassroots interfaith program for homeless families, along with the Catholic Worker house."

Julia, you've taken on some large challenges. Has any particular Scripture passage sustained you?
"Different passages speak to me differently in different moments. The parable of loaves and fishes and Matthew 25, 'Whatsoever you do to the least of these you do unto me,' have special meaning for me. The paradoxes and metaphors found in Scripture show up often in my thoughts and they influence my writing."

What is your image of God? "I envision God incarnated in the dynamic of human relationships. I embrace my image of God when I'm able to revere both the wounds and sacredness in myself and others. In human relationships, we're given the privilege to engage in the give-and-take of a love that endures suffering, sacrifice and commitment, as well as a love that comforts, rejoices and hopes."

What about your faith is most meaningful to you? "Faithfulness to Jesus' message of radical love and forgiveness provides infinite possibilities toward personal and social transformation."

There's a lot more. I might drop Julia a note... And I think I'll follow this column.

4 Comments:

At 8:21 PM, Blogger crystal said...

So the Catholic Worker movement is laypeople helping the poor in hal-way houses? I know Dorothy Day was involved, but don't know much else about it.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Hi Crystal --

Every community is different. The basic idea is that members live together in a community, and its members work outside of the community no more than half-time, so that they can meet their living expenses and then dedicate themselves to a work that exemplifies one or more of the Corporal Works of Mercy. They also often publish a regular newsletter, and frequently are involved in non-violent actions for peace and justice.

In our community, our basic work was a free weekday dinner for the poor -- especially women, families, and the elderly. For the first couple of years that we were in the community we also offered short-term emergency housing in our own home. Other communities might focus on a clinic or some other work, though the most common outreach is probably around feeding the hungry.

We also published a newsletter approximately quarterly, and were active in non-violent civil disobedience around the Trident nuclear submarine base.

There are usually also a lot of people who are active supporters and participants in the community's work, who don't actually live in the community.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger crystal said...

So most people live in a community sort of like a monastery? That sounds attractive. How do they support themselves?

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Hi again Crystal --

I enjoyed your comment, "sort of like a monastery." I don't think anyone ever mistook a Worker community for a monastery! It's been more common that people would mistake it for a commune. But it's neither, really, although the communities are all different.

For instance, in our community we had our three (at that time) children, and another couple had two children, slightly older than ours. The presence of children "loosens up" a community considerably.

There was a mutual commitment to a simple lifestyle. We supported ourselves by working at various jobs, mostly part-time. Larry was a lab researcher, I worked at a nearby church, and so on. In general, we ate the same food that we shared with the people we fed at the Family Kitchen. Our house was also a neighborhood center for meditation, in the upstairs "quiet room" (not really a chapel, but similar).

Thanks for the questions. If you have more, go ahead and ask.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home