Tuesday, November 01, 2011

A Long Spell

This post isn't going to be about anything I read or heard or wrote. The thing is, I'm tired. I do regret haven't had much time to post, or much chance to access to my home computer.

It hasn't been drudgingly tiring; I've enjoyed this latest period of my life. Take these last two weeks, for example; it's been an invigorating time! I've been part of a lot of intense, varied activities, yet still have found times for reflection and creativity.

It may have started with the weekend of the homily on taxes (which for the times may have been as challenging to the ethos of my parish as any I've given), and it continued with the JustFaith retreat last weekend.

There have been some sensitive pastoral times as well during that span, both with parishioners and at the hospital.

Adding to it was the craziness at home too, because by some unfortunate and untimely coincidences, both my daughters and their families have been living with us in the Duffell household (which explains the loss of access to the computer). We are six large adult bodies, a teenager, an active 5-year-old, a baby, and two cats, one of whom is occasionally (and sadly) incontinent. That sounds a little like a TV sitcom, or maybe it's just like one of the things that just happens in life, as in "Stuff happens."

This past weekend was a welcome getaway for a convocation of the archdiocesan deacons, but even during that time I was "on tap" for a meeting of the board and "on the agenda" for helping lead the final presentation to my brother deacons.

And tomorrow won't be much of a day off, either, with appointments at 7:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., and several calls to make on parish business. I hope somewhere to fit in an hour for bowling (!), but know I have to take time to purchase some new glasses.

But...HERE'S THE THING. Though tired, I feel really alive. It's not an adrenaline thing, like a rush because there's so much activity. Thing is, I've had time for introspection and prayer...some singing...a couple of quiet walks...times to touch base with a couple of good friends. Most of all, I feel that in some measure I'm in tune with where I'm supposed to be ... even though it's not clear yet WHAT it's supposed to be. (Aack! With that last comment I noticed I sounded like I was in my twenties again!)

And looking ahead...next weekend I'm going away with Joan, to the Call to Action Conference in Milwaukee. I'm very curious about it. I anticipate a lot of energy, with some things I won't agree with, some things that will be very challenging, and some things that will be resonate strongly with me and be good for my soul. I hope to bring my laptop with me and write a few words about it.

1 Comments:

At 1:52 AM, Blogger crystal said...

It sounds like what's happening is really good for you, if challenging. I hope you get a chance to blog about the Call to Action meeting - I'm curious about them. Fr. Ruff recently gave a talk at one of their places on the missal translation. Anyway, it was good to read your post - been missing you :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home