Wednesday, January 19, 2011

March For Life, 2011

Tuesday I participated in the annual March For Life in the Washington State capital of Olympia. This was the first time I've made it to the event, and I felt more motivated this year because abortions are once again on the increase. The (above) website for the event indicates that there were about 10,000 people there, and I wouldn't dispute the figure.

The march was preceeded by two Masses at St. Michael's Church, one for youth presided over by Bishop Tyson, and the other for adults presided over by our newly installed Archbishop Sartain. Afterwards, we did march, from St. Michaels to the steps of the Capitol, where an hour-long rally was held, with various speakers, including legislators. There was not enough room on the steps of the building, so we overflowed onto other areas, and unfortunately I couldn't really hear the speakers very well. But I watched the crowd, read all the signs, and in general enjoyed the festivities.

And it WAS festive. The speeches didn't have an angry tone at all, and the crowd was upbeat. The signs, purposefully worded and strong, were generally positive and not pejorative. The only angry people seemed to be the 13 or 14 counter-protestors across the street, who deliberately intended to be disruptive by making a lot of noise during the Archbishop's opening prayer; but the large crowd just ignored them, and they soon stopped.

It was a good event. My only criticism would be that I saw few signs, and heard little or nothing spoken (that I could hear), that made connections to other issues -- like the death penalty, war, or the defunding of programs for low-income women. Those connections HAVE to be made, in my opinion, if the Pro-Life movement wishes to grow.

I would recommend the event, and of course the cause. If I go next year, I'll carry my own sign, that makes connections.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home