Monday, August 23, 2010

Still Gasping...

OK -- the total for today was 2.8 miles jogging, broken into 4 segments, with walking in between. I know, that doesn't sound very hard... but it's REALLY tough... I need to trick myself constantly, as in "just go two more blocks, then you can quit" and then "just go 5 more blocks and then decide," & all the while my lungs & heart alternate between whimpering and screaming. AARGH!

I'm glad I don't have a photo of how this looks, because I'm sure it's not pretty! I'm sure I look really old and out of shape... But I do keep thinking about September 19th and the Elephant Stampede. And I think of the Trade School dedication in April, which keeps me going. Here are a couple of pictures of that event, and a short, 40 second clip...

This is a shot at the main Administrative block:

This is a picture of Fr. Phillip Mumbulu, who will be our honored guest at this year's Elephant Stampede. In this shot he's assisting the Malawi Minister of Education, who came to Namitembo for the dedication.

And now here's the short video to give you a flavor of the event:


Ahh, after I remember that, something perverse in me says that I'll feel really good about this once it's all over. I sure HOPE so.

2 Comments:

At 2:14 AM, Blogger crystal said...

Oh I feel envious of you. I used to jog years ago but got out of the habit when my cats got so sick. I think about trying it again but just never do. Do you run on the sidewalk? Do you have special shoes?

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Hi Crystal --

I run in the city, which usually means I run on the side streets in the neighborhood. Sometimes on the sidewalk, but I don't especially like that -- too uneven, too easy to trip.

My shoes used to be good running shoes, but now they're just OLD running shoes. I don't know if I'll continue after the Stampede, so I'm not making the investment in new ones just yet. Will have to see how the knees last!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home