Monday, May 07, 2007

Two Pamphlets and a Swirl of Controversy

Over this past weekend, in my weekly column at St. Bridget, I noted a short article that was in the Catholic Northwest Progress, our local Archdiocesan Catholic newspaper. The article noted that theologian Dan Maguire at Marquette University (my alma mater) had written and circulated two pamphlets to the bishops of the United States, one on abortion and birth control, and the other on same-sex marriage, claiming that there were other legitimate Catholic positions on these topics besides those held by the hierarchy. It noted further that the bishops had responded collectively in an open letter to Catholics, renouncing his positions on these matters. Since then, there have been numerous calls for Marquette to fire Maquire.

I think that all of these documents are well-written, and that this is a real opportunity for Catholics to understand these issues a little better. I read Maguires articles first, and was actually very surprised but also a bit dubious. The bishops' letter did not address Maguire's writings point by point, which I would have liked, but was otherwise clear and convincing. To read any of these three writings, click on the underlined words above.

2 Comments:

At 1:47 AM, Blogger crystal said...

It's interesting to hear that the Church through history actually has had multiple posititons on contraception and abortion.

I've read an online article by Charles Curran on contraception that was also good - Roman Catholic Sexual Ethics: A Dissenting View - link

I think I've read that about 90% of American Catholics use birth control. I think contraception is a positive thing, myself.

I've read a lot of stuff by James Alison. He's gay, was a Dominican priest but now is a theologian. I just don't see a moral downside to same-sex attraction or marriage.

Interesting post.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Thanks, Crystal. I was amazed that Maguire sent those pamphlets directly to the bishops; that seemed almost like a dare. He must feel very sure about the history he quotes, and I don't think that the bishops adaquately addressed that history in their letter.

Catholics don't talk about birth control very much any more. I can't say that I've ever heard a homily on it, though there must have been some shortly after Humanae Vitae was written. It seems like a settled issue to most Catholics, against the Church's teaching.

Abortion is definitely another matter. And same-sex marriage is still an issue where I think a lot of Catholics haven't really made up their mind as yet. I think a lot of Catholics, as well as a lot of Americans, would be a lot more tolerant if the issue was discussed as a domestic-partner issue, rather than using the word marriage.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Denny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home