Friday, October 20, 2006

Respect Life month: a really fine article

The first Sunday of the month of October is considered Respect Life Sunday. This year it fell on the weekend when St. Bridget was doing signups for its various ministries, so while we included this concern at Mass in our Prayers of the Faithful, there was little other mention of it.

I've felt for some time that we give this issue too little mention, but I've also struggled with a way that I could meaningfully speak about it. I've really loathed the way the "debate" in this country has proceeded, especially the way in which (I believe) our Catholic Church was used in the 2004 election.

I ran across an article in another blog, and thought it was very much worth posting here. It's entitled The Rhetoric of Abortion: Reflections from a Former Pro-life Activist, by Elizabeth Wardle, posted on Alternet.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

2 Comments:

At 6:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for finding and posting this article, Denny. It peels back the black-and-white choices often presented in the political discussion to raise core questions that will actually move us forward.

Still, I find it difficult to hold these discussion with friends and family who don't share the "Prime Directive" of our faith - Love one another as I have loved you. How to get folks to see that "one another" refers to ALL friends and family, not just MY friends and family?

Compassion. Compassion for all living things.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Hi Kim --

That IS tough, I'll admit. It takes patience and practice, both. One of the things I experience, after giving a homily that's pushed the edge in a specific direction (I did a homily about a year ago on how our federal taxes were being spent), is that I will get short-but-not-necessarily-sweet feedback related to that specific direction. When that happens, there is too often very little opportunity to have a good conversation. I guess that's one reason I wanted to start a blog, too. We'll see what happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home